The Richmond College Old Boys Association was founded on the Christmas eve of 1894 (24 December, 1894) and a decision made to hold the first meeting on 23rd May the following year. The first Secretary, Charles C D’ Silva sent out a mail dated 1st May, 1995 including the Draft constitution of the Association to all old boys whose addresses were known. Here is a copy of the original letter printed at the “Albion Press, Galle“, which forms a part of the Richmond College Log Book.
The first General Meeting was held at 2:30 PM in the College Hall after a Divine Service in the Richmond Hill Church at 1:30 PM, followed by lunch. This tradition is maintained to date and the lunch is known today as the Principal’s Lunch.
23rd May, 1895 marks another milestone in Richmond history and the day was declared a holiday. The entry by the Principal, the Rev. Horatius Hartley, in his own handwriting in the log book on that day is reproduced below.
The notice of the proceedings for the day including the hymns and the draft of the first constitution is reproduced below. Make note of the directions given by Rev. Hartley to attach the documents to the log book. Click on the image to see the other pages.
Since 1895 the RCOBA has met every year after the ‘Big Match’ which is usually worked out during March. The RCOBA has much influence over the College affairs and thanks to the RCOBA the College has maintained its traditions to date.
There are two branches of the RCOBA, the Colombo Branch and the UK branch and many umbrella groups formed according to the year they left or joined the college. The very senior old boys formed the ‘Sixty Club’, membership being opened to those who reach 60 years of age . All these clubs and groups take a keen interest in the college activities and on their own initiative raises much needed funds to improve and help the college in many activities.