In 1871 Rev. Baugh made the Girls Boarding School which was a part of the AV School, a school for Girls and named it Whitfield Road School for Girls. During the time Rev. Baugh was the Superintendent of the Kandy Station he went on furlough to England. The Whitfield Road Girl’s Sunday Sabbath School in Liverpool came to know of his work in Ceylon and offered to help him with his work to uplift female education. As a result Rev. Baugh was sent monetary support during his stay in Kandy. When Rev. Baugh was transferred to Galle they continued to provide him assistance. He applied that assistance to establish a girl’s school and in gratitude to the English Girl’s school in Manchester he named it the Whitfield Road School for Girls.
In 1876 when the Richmond Hill AV School was upgraded to a High school the girls school too followed suit and was known as The Whitfield Girl’s High School which saw a name change to Rippon in memory of Rev. Rippon perhaps at the same time Richmond got is name.
The English school that operated in Galle Fort which was part of the original school was taken over by the Government in 1834 but handed back to the mission in 1844. With the moving of the scattered schools in Galle after Richmond Hill was purchased the building the Fort School was housed, fell into disuse. At the Synod of 1885 ‘the establishment of a Girls’ High School in Fort of Galle was unanimously approved‘ this building was made use of again to establish the Girls’ High School in Fort. In as much as the transfer or the absorbing of students from the old AV School to the upgraded Galle High School happened in 1876 the Girls’ school started its operations and in 1886 Miss. Isobel Rogers was sent out at its first Principal. She unfortunately contracted enteric fever in 1887 and died on 27th December the same year. As her replacement Miss. Waller the daughter of Dr. Waller the then Secretary of the British Conference came to Ceylon on 5th April, 1888. She married Rev. Triggs of Richmond and served the Girls’ school for a while. She was replaced by Miss. Hay. In 1923 the school was renamed Southlands. Thus Southlands too can claim for a longer history than it is now believed. As Richmond failed to recognise the first 62 years of her existence so has Southlands.
We have not done any extensive research on Rippon and Southlands and whatever information here is what we found whilst mining for the past Richmond history. We will continue to find more about these two schools and hopefully add it here as they too are part of the first School in Galle.