Richmond College stands on Kumbalwella Village. It has been a residential area for centuries and people of means live in this village.
The Richmond Hill Station is the last railway station before reaching the Galle Station and was constructed during the 1900’s for the benefit of children who were attending many schools around the station. The station stands on the foot of the hill approximately 200 meters (1/8 miles) from the Richmond Hill Road.
There is a log entry mady by Rev. Darrell in 1896 where there is reference to the station. This entry relates to the 1895 – 1896 Prize giving the Chief Guest being the GA Southern Province Mr. H. Wace. Mr. Wace in his reply after the Prize Giving in his speech has promised all the help to get a railway station close to the hill. We have not yet found the exact date when the station was built.