REV. GEORGE ERSKINE – (1814 TO 1821)
Rev. George Erskine was born in 1781 in Tyrone, Ireland. He was admitted to the Methodist ministry in 1809 and was one of the pioneer Methodist Missionaries to have set foot in Galle on 29th June, 1814. When the missionaries decided to fan out and he went to Matara first and then returned to Galle later on and looked after the school for a while before he was transferred to Trincomalee. From Trincomalee he came to Colpetty. He was transferred to Sydney, New South Wales in 1821.
He was married to Lydia McDual daughter of the late John McDual of Sydney and were married by Rev. W. Cowper at Sydney on 2 April 1823, a licence having been obtained 25 Mar 1823. He went on to live in Windsor. He bought some land in present Erskenville, NSW. Here, in 1830 he built a house which he called Erskine Villa. The Reverend George Erskine did not live long to enjoy his house and land. He died there in 1834 and was buried in the grounds of his home. There is conflicting information about where he died and is burried. One source point to his having died in Prince Street Sydney and having been buried at the Old Sydney Burial Ground. The Sydney Gazette of Thursday, 24 April 1834 reported that on Sunday evening, 20th instant, at his residence in Prince Street, the Reverend George Erskine, many years Superintendent of the Wesleyan Mission in these Colonies, and the South Sea Islands died. He had seven children four sons and three daughters.