Football was and is the second most important sport next to Cricket at Richmond. Soccer has always been played at Richmond but it has only been occasionally that they gained a prominent position in that sport. Probably one reason for this has been that they have had to practise on a ground considerably less than full size and a hard surface.
The first Vice Principal of Richmond, Mr. R. O. Eade, was a good football player, and after coming out in 1915 set himself to train a strong team. He succeeded in 1917, and they won the Galle Championship for which a Shield had been donated by Mr. Leefe of M/s. Clarke Spence. There is a photograph of them in the 1926 Souvenir. The Captain was P. B. Herat and the goalkeeper Arambawela Guneris de Silva, who established the record, of having only one goal scored against him in school matches, and that by St. Thomas’, Mt. Lavinia, Champions of Colombo, the only team to beat Richmond that year in a game between The Champions of S. P. and Colombo played in Galle.
The Richmond boys were Galle Champions again in 1923 when Ivan Don Daniel was Captain and R. M. M. de Silva Coach. In 1928 on record was 3 wins, 3 draws and no losses.
The 1935 team was captained by C. H. S. Amarasekera. There is no record of their achievements, but the following year, with the same Captain and almost the same team, they beat St. Aloysius 4/1 and drew with Mahinda College in spite of being handicapped by not being able to practise on the Hill owing to the enlarging of the playing field which was in progress. The picture below is that of the 1938 team.
In 1962, at the request of the new Principal, Mr. D. G. Welikala, Mr. Arambawela took over the coaching. He worked hard, with regular practices in the early morning, and in 1965 trained a team which beat St. Aloysius, though they were beaten by Mahinda.