When speaking of Richmond the contributions made by the non Academic staff for the progress of the college cannot be forgotten. The Matrons – Miss. Florence Dissanayake Assistant Matron, Low Boarding in late 1920’s, Miss. Paranawithana, Miss. Colin-Thome, Miss. L. Perera, Mrs. Seneviratne, The Bursars Mr. C. E. Wikramanayake, Mr. Marshall Gurusinghe, Mr. G. W. S. de Silva although was on the acadamic staff earlier was given a highly responsible position as the Bursar and the Hostel Warden.
Mrs. Daisey de Silva and Mr. Kahaduwarachchi from the Administrative Staff, Mr. P. Y. V. Spencer and Mr. Heusein both Lab Assistants but very knowledgeble souls who involved themselves with the Radio Club, Wilson, James, Arthur of the hostel, N. Banda – “Bandaiya” who would roam the hill in the night with a gun on his shoulder made sure there were no intruders, Handy, Sirisena and Piyasena all Lab boys who would have been able to teach Chemistry and Physics, Carolis, Marathelis, Aranolis, Simon, James – the Head Peon for many, many years, David the peon who would ring the College bell on the dot at the appointed times four times a day, and many others before them had served Richmond diligently and faithfully.
Their contributions and of many others who are not mentioned here are remembered with gratitude.
We have received a photograph of Miss. Florence Dissanayake, Assistant Matron, Low Boarding in late 1920’s. The photograph is rather small but we hope Richmondites from that era would remember her. She later married Mr. E Thomas Gunawardena of The Training Colony, Peradeniya.
Richmond Boarding Staff – 1951